2009-11-27

Another reason not to share your password

When I was a junior programmer I was loaned out to another project for half a day. The PL didn't want to bother setting up my RACF access for such a short assignment, so he just gave me his password (which was against the rules, even in those days) and let me use his TSO userid.

The PL had PFK10 set up as CANCEL. This screwed me up because my own userid had PFK10 set up as SAVE. After losing several rounds of changes by hitting CANCEL when I meant SAVE, I changed the PL's PFK10 setting to match the one I was accustomed to.

This would have been fine except that I forgot to change it back again when I finished using his userid.

I heard some colourful language the next day when the PL SAVE'd some changes he'd meant to CANCEL.

He couldn't very well report me to Security, since he shouldn't have let me use his userid in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment